Monday, April 16, 2012

Mama Pita, a Taste of the Mediterranean in Dallas


 I’ll be the first to admit I don’t have a lot of credibility when it comes to judging Tex-Mex or BBQ; and although I’ve had a whole lot of steaks in my day and been to  plenty of very, very good steakhouses, I’ll grant that I don’t have a much authority when it comes to steaks either. But, when it comes to Middle Eastern food, I’ve got the creds to stand with anyone this side of Beirut.  I’ve been to Mama Pita (https://www.facebook.com/Mamapita) in Plano a few times, and I am definitely a fan. Middle Eastern food varies pretty significantly depending on where you are (Greece, Egypt, Lebanon, Iran, etc.).  Mama Pita describes itself as a “Mediterranean Grill” and they pull aspects of
food from throughout the region. The easiest way to describe it is a Middle Eastern Chipotle.  First, you tell them what you want (wrap, salad or platter), and then you can choose from a variety of dips such as hummus, baba ghanouj (which is similar to hummus, but made with eggplant).  Next, you can choose which type of salad you want including fetoush (a mixed salad with vegetables, toasted pita bread, and herbs), couscous (chick peas, tomatoes, onions, etc) and orzo (orzo pasta with feta cheese and vegetables); along with potatoes or rice Then you pick which meat you want (chicken beef, shrimp…..along with the option of getting falafel); along with all of the fixings to go with it.  The staff is very friendly and does a good job explaining all of the food to customers, most of whom I am guessing can’t tell the difference between fetoush and falafel, and asking if customers needs anything while dining.  The flavors are very good, a little underseasoned for my pallet, but I’m also used to lots of seasoning; the words “too much garlic" were never uttered at home.”; but plenty of seasoning for the average pallet.  The décor is industrial; concrete floors and brick walls, which are contrasted with large images of the fresh food and scenes from the “old country”.  The food is very good here, and with the all of the options, someone can go countless times without having the same meal twice.  I’ve been there around five times, and haven’t had a bad meal….but who’s counting?


Here is a piece from NBCDFW about mama pita:
http://www.nbcdfw.com/the-scene/food-drink/Experience-Authentic-Mediterranean-at-Mama-Pita-130008503.html



Just like mama used to make!

Beef kebab with orzo, potatoes, fetoush salad and humus
Look familiar?

No comments:

Post a Comment